Thursday, March 14, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake


When I was growing up, we always had a box of Bisquick in the house.  My Mother had this soft cover Bisquick recipe book that was my "go to" cookbook - I would experiment with various dishes... fried chicken, taco pie, strawberry shortcake...I still have that book today and I love pulling it out every now and then.  The memories come flowing back - my writing is all over the book.  Comically, the words "no eggs" is written in several places. 

My Mother worked nights, so I was often left to fend for myself come dinner time.   There were many times when I would find a recipe to try, only to find out we had no eggs!  That forced me to become resourceful.  I would scan the book, searching for a recipe that only required ingredients that I had on hand.  That book contains a lot of memories for me.  I even found a few notes tucked in there that I would leave for my Mother in the morning before leaving for school.  One of the notes has a recipe for baked ziti and it's labeled "Friday's supper...I'll make it when I get home."  I guess my love of cooking started at a very early age.

The infamous Bisquick book...

The recipe for strawberry shortcake is still on the box today and hasn't changed one bit!

INGREDIENTS:
4 C strawberries, sliced
1/2 C sugar
2 1/3 C bisquick baking mix
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 C milk
Whipped cream

DIRECTIONS:
Mix strawberries with 1/2 cup of sugar.  Set aside.  Heat oven to 450 degrees.  Stir bisquick mix, milk, 3 tbsp sugar, and the butter until a soft dough forms.  Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.

Allow shortcakes to cool.  Slice in half, spoon strawberries over 1 half, top with whipped cream, place remaining half on top, spoon on more strawberries on top with whipped cream. 

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!