Saturday, March 9, 2013

Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup


I'm typically not a huge soup fan.  While out for dinner the other night, my husband convinced me to try his cream of broccoli soup.  After a few bites, I had to have my own cup.  This inspired me to whip up a batch at home.  After a morning of reseaching recipes, I came across a variation of Panera Bread's cream of broccoli soup.  A few tweaks here and there and I was ready to go!

Here's what you'll need...

3 C broccoli florets (frozen or fresh)
1/2 vidalia onion, diced
1 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp butter
2 C chicken broth
2 C half & half
1/4 C flour
Clove of garlic, minced
1 carrot, julienned
1/4 tsp nutmeg
8 oz cheddar
S&P


 In a pot or dutch oven, saute the onion, garlic, and 1 tbsp of butter over medium heat...

Remove onions and set aside...

Add remaining butter to pot.  Once melted, add the flour and stir constantly,
cooking for 2-3 minutes...

Stirring constantly, add the half & half and chicken broth.  Simmer for 20 minutes,
stirring often, until thickened...
 
 
It will be thick enough when you can run your finger across the spoon like this...
 

Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions.  Simmer on low for 20-25 minutes...


 
Season with salt and pepper.  Add the cheese and stir until melted. 
Stir in the nutmeg, and enjoy!!
 
 
So, wondering how it came out?  Two spoons up from hubby and our picky 10 year old daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!