Monday, April 1, 2013

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars


I saw a recipe for caramel apple cheesecake and I had to make it!  There was only one problem - I hate apples.  Okay, I don't hate apples, I just don't like chunks of them in my dessert!  Yes, I am one of those strange people who only likes certain foods a certain way.  Bananas...I couldn't take a bite of a banana if my life depended on it.  Now banana bread on the other hand...I love it!!!  Growing up, if there was an apple pie in my house, I would take a slice and spoon out all of the apples, leaving me just the crust and the gooey goodness.  I love apple pie - minus the apples! 

I just had to make this dessert.  It looked too good to pass up, so I "de-appled" it and replaced the apples with apple sauce.  Genius!  This dessert was an Easter hit!  By the time everyone had left, it was all gone!  Completely!  As a matter of fact, several pieces were smuggled right out under my nose!

If you are a chunky apple fan, feel free to substitute real apples for the apple sauce!

Warning...if you are anti-butter or counting fat/calories, turn away now!  This is a very rich and decadent dessert.  This is the perfect dish for company or parties.  It will definitely impress!

Here's what you'll need...

Crust:
1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs
1 stick of butter, melted

Filling:
3 8 oz. bars of cream cheese, softened
3/4 C sugar
3 lg eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Gooey Goodness Topping:
1/2 C apple sauce
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Streusel Topping:
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
 
Drizzle:
1/2 C caramel topping
 
Directions...
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press evenly into a 9x13 baking pan. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
  3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 3/4 cup sugar in an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Slowly add eggs and vanilla.
  4. Pour over warm crust.
  5. In a small bowl, mix the apple sauce, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture.
  6. For the streusel topping, combine all ingredients and sprinkle on top.
  7. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until filling is set. Drizzle with caramel topping and let cool in fridge.
Adapted from Paula Deen

34 comments:

  1. What size cream cheese...3 oz. or 8 oz.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It says (3) 8oz pkgs. okay

      Delete
    2. Three 8 ounces of cream cheese bars

      Delete
  2. Sorry, Genie. That would be 8 oz bars. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am from the Netherlands and would love to try this recipe. I am translating the ingredients and I was wondering, what is quick cooking oats? Thanks in advance and kind greetings from the Netherlands, Sanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Quaker Oats in the big round box, the kind that cooks for 1 minute :)

      Delete
  4. Cooking oats are oatmeal cereal, however not the instant kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo making this!! Making a plain cheesecake now and saw this lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good! Please be sure to come back and let us know if you liked it!

      Delete
  6. so you use 3 of the 8oz bars of cream cheese, right. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. If you have to ask how many calories, you probably don't want to eat this. It sounds so delicious.

      Delete
  8. so is it 3 8 ozs bars???

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha You sound JUST like me!!!!!! I hate bananas but love banana flavor. Certain textures do not work well with me - ie Mashed potatoes, pastas, bananas, or ANYTHING creamy! haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. What do you mean by lined baking pan? What do you line it with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat. That was a typo! No need to line the pan with anything. The graham cracker crust has butter in it, which will prevent it from sticking!

      Delete
  11. Do you not use the brn sugar in the gooey topping? You just say apple and spices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linda. Yes, mix the brown sugar with the apple sauce and spices.

      Delete
  12. Is it 3 8oz bars of cream cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is there anyway you could make it with acual apples istead of the sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, You can substitute 3 cups of diced apples for the apple sauce.

      Delete
  14. I am making these tonight...i modified a little..made in cupcake muffin tin..and made some for my daughter gf...so..in the oven..smells wonderful..thanks for the great idea...my husband loves apple pie..but can't stand crunchy apples...this is perfect...and all that sugar and butter..it has to turn out good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly. Fantastic idea!! Please report back and let us know how they turned out! If you are a facebook user, I would love for you to share a picture of them on our facebook page!

      Delete
  15. Me and my mother-in-law are makin this for sure:) thanks for the recipe:) Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds great and I can't wait to make it. I however will do a butter/flour crust. I am not a fan of graham cracker crust.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this for Easter and it was a hit. I used the real apples and diced them small so it wasn't real chunky, but everyone loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It seems simple enough and something most people would enjoy. It also seems to leave some room for either adding or substituting some ingredients, which is nice if you have picky eaters. Also, kudos to you Stacey for answering everyone's questions, and being so friendly. Hope everyone enjoys this yummy treat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Im so ready to bite into this. It's almost done baking in the oven now and my kitchen smells wonderful

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!